Related Posts with Thumbnails

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Early Intervention Evaluation

I can say that all of my DC's (darling children's) are late talker. The earliest talker we have was 17 months old. My 16 yo son started talking at the age of 3 because he was born tongue tie. We don't have any idea, his daycare provided just mention it to me to check under his tongue. And sure enough there was an extra skin there attached at the tip of his tongue to the bottom. After it was cut at the hospital he started speech therapy.

Now you can't even tell that he was a late talker.

Then came our second child. He is 7 yo now and didn't start talking until he was 2&1/2 yo when we started speech therapy. We weren't that worry about it because he can understand everything we say. He is still receiving therapy today.

Our daughter started talking when she was 2 yo. She does not receive any therapy, she got tested but came with no problem. She is 4 and 3/4 yo.

My third son who is 3 & 1/2 started talking earlier than others. He was 17 months old, he is not in any school yet so I'm not sure if he needs therapy. Once in a while I catch him say the sound of "Y" instead of "L". He would say "yook" instead of "look". Other than that, he is pretty much on track.

Now, our youngest son. My pediatrician told that he should have at least 10 clear words by now at 19 months old. But from what I can hear, he only have 5 (the most). So he recommend for him to tested. I called our EI unit and set up an appointment on Friday 2/8 for the evaluation. They are coming to my house to do it. Which I like because I don't have to drive him any where. But the bad part is I have to tidy up the house before they come. Keeping it tidy is hard work because I have 3 little ones who does not listen very well.

Just to add, that our youngest answers question whenever ask. And he sound like having conversation when ever I talk to him. But the problem is his words, it's not understandable. He got his own language going on. Just ask him anything and he will answer you...with his own words. :) I'm not worried about him because he babbles enough and even yell at his siblings when mad. Words he can say clearly; mommy, mom, dada, juice, no. It is funny because sometimes I can hear him talk in a sentence and can actually sound it out.

Now from what my mother told me, I was talking way before I was 1 yo. So was my DH (dear husband). I'm baffled on why my DC's are not on track talking. Do we not read enough or talk enough to them?

Hoping for a great result on Friday. At least if there is a problem he can start speech therapy early.


0 comments:

Life of Ours Author


Mrs. Cheers, Keystone USA

"I'm a Research Associate in the field of Child Development and Human Relations. I have a continuing program of research (What mother doesn't?) in the laboratory and in the field (normally I would have said indoors and out). I'm working for my Masters, (the whole darned family) and already have five credits (four sons & one daughter, 1 joined the working community, 4 were educated @ home ). Of course, the job is one of the most demanding in the humanities (any mother care to disagree?), and I often work 14 hours a day (24 is more like it). But the job is more challenging than most run-of-the-mill careers, and the rewards are more of a satisfaction than just money."


©2008-2023 recheers.blogspot.com.™ Contact: nedekcir@gmail.com